Thursday, May 5, 2011

SO much to snark

I missed my snark yesterday. I had a great one to share. I watched the Oprah show on Wednesday and she was hosting the 50th anniversiary of the Freedom Riders--all 178 survivors. I was amazed at how causually folks were able to "forgive" the past and those involved in the discrimination throughout the south. I kept thinking that people cna change, they are allowed to mature. After all, I am not the same person I was 25 years ago. Even 10 years ago I had different ideas than I have today.
I was already to snark on the hypocrites who hid behide the sheets using fear to prevent their world from changing and losing their position of authority. But that would have been too easy. Trying to hold the lynchers and mobs to a higher standard cries for snark. But I believe the focus needs to be on those who stood shoulder to shoulder and said "We will not be pushed around." Those folks who stepped into the shark infested waters and insisted on swimming.
What fun would it be to snark the metally deficient? After all they knew not what they done...They were folloeing in their daddy's and grand-daddy's fime tradition of superiority. One that required at least 10 peers to go out and perform "intervention" on a group of muck-rakers.
Soinstead I rested. Pondering what has happened to the America I grew up watching on the television screen in the 1960s. A time when people were proud of their neighbors, proud of their leaders and proud of their families. One would be hard pressed to find any person with a feeling of belonging to any group. Most of us participate simply for what benefits we can derive from those we flatter.

No comments :

Post a Comment